Mizoram Minister John Rotluangliana

Former Mizoram minister and senior Congress leader John Rotluangliana on Friday publicly defended himself against corruption allegations linked to the now-cancelled Skywalk and Ropeway tourism project in Mizoram, saying he had not misused any public funds and would continue speaking out despite criticism.

Speaking during a political session organised by the Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee, Rotluangliana said some people had claimed he had gone silent after securing anticipatory bail in the case, but insisted that he would continue responding publicly to the allegations.

The case relates to the proposed Skywalk and Ropeway tourism project at Sakawrhmuituai in Aizawl, which was launched under the previous Congress government as part of the Centre’s Swadesh Darshan tourism scheme. The project later came under investigation after the succeeding Mizo National Front government filed an FIR with the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB).

Rotluangliana, who was the minister in charge of the Tourism Department when the project was initiated, alleged that he was being politically targeted because of his role in the project.

He said he recently learned that a chargesheet would soon be filed against him and that well-wishers advised him to seek anticipatory bail to avoid possible arrest and public humiliation. According to him, government lawyers opposed his bail plea before the court, but anticipatory bail was eventually granted on May 12, 2026.

The former minister said the chargesheet accused him of approving revised project estimates for a Tourism Information Centre and diverting project funds towards the construction of a Tourist Lodge at Rajiv Nagar in Aizawl.

Defending the decisions, Rotluangliana said the Tourist Lodge had already been completed and inaugurated, though some bills were still pending. He also said the revised estimate for the Tourism Information Centre was prepared so the building could later function as an office for the Tourism Directorate.

He further explained that the Skywalk and Ropeway project was part of the centrally funded Swadesh Darshan scheme, under which Mizoram had reportedly been sanctioned around Rs 99 crore for multiple tourism-related projects. According to him, about Rs 49 crore had already been released, covering not only the Skywalk and Ropeway but several other tourism infrastructure projects as well.

Rotluangliana alleged that misinformation had been spread suggesting the entire amount was meant solely for the Skywalk and Ropeway project. He also claimed that the previous MNF government was unwilling to continue the project, leading to complications that eventually resulted in the central government cancelling it, causing Mizoram to lose substantial funding.

Maintaining his innocence, the Congress leader said he had “not taken even a single rupee” from the project and expressed confidence that the truth would emerge during court proceedings.

He also criticised both the MNF and the current Zoram People’s Movement government on various governance and development issues, including what he described as financial lapses and unrealistic project announcements.

Also Read: How a rare flowering plant connects Assam to Andaman & Nicobar

Leave a comment

Leave a comment