Meghalaya: Deputy CM rejects intelligence failure in student rally violence

Shillong: Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister incharge of home, Prestone Tynsong on Thursday rejected allegations of an intelligence failure in connection with the violence during the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) rally in Shillong, saying the administration had granted permission based on assurances that the demonstration would remain peaceful.

“I don’t agree to that. There is no such failure,” Tynsong said, backing the statement earlier made by the East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner.

He said the rally was permitted with conditions and organisers had assured the DC that it would be conducted peacefully and with dignity. However, he pointed out that several participants were seen wearing black handkerchiefs or masks.

“This attitude clearly shows that their intention was not for a peace rally, but it seems something else,” he said.

Tynsong assured citizens that the government would take firm action against those involved in assaults and vandalism, adding that the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order (MMPO) Act was now in place.

He also assured residents that the government would ensure normal functioning of offices, markets and daily livelihood activities.

On criticism that the government failed to respond to the KSU’s 15-day ultimatum, Tynsong said the government had invited the union for talks through the Deputy Commissioner, but the invitation was declined.

“It’s not that we don’t want to invite them for talks. The invitation was made, but they refused,” he said.

Tynsong reiterated that the government’s doors remained open for dialogue, saying it was willing to discuss issues with the KSU and other organisations.

————————-

Shillong: The Meghalaya government has invoked the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act (MMPO) against those involved in the violence and vandalism reported in Shillong on Wednesday, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said on Thursday.

Tynsong said the government had taken the matter seriously, particularly the attack on vehicles belonging to the Meghalaya High Court within its compound.

“The incident that happened yesterday is very hurtful. We cannot even imagine that vehicles of the honourable High Court were attacked,” Tynsong said.

He pointed out that the vehicles were attacked inside the court compound and not outside the premises.

Tynsong said the government had been asked by the High Court to file an affidavit in connection with a PIL and that action would be taken against those responsible.

“The government has already invoked the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act immediately and, accordingly, action will be taken against those culprits, those criminals who damaged properties, be it government or private,” he said.

Asked whether NGO leaders would be booked under the MPDA given the severity of the crimes, Tynsong said action would be taken against those responsible for the damage.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment