Imphal: The Manipur government on Tuesday reiterated its stand that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) should be updated in the state before the Census, citing concerns over demographic changes, demographic imbalance and illegal migration.
Addressing a press conference at the Directorate of Information and Public Relations (DIPR) Auditorium at Nityaipat Chuthek in Imphal, government spokesperson and MLA Dr Sapam Ranjan Singh said the government remained serious about issues concerning the NRC and Census and stood with the people of Manipur in addressing their concerns.
Sapam said the Manipur Legislative Assembly had passed a resolution on August 5, 2022, urging that the NRC be taken up in the state. The resolution was reaffirmed by the Assembly on March 1, 2024.
He said the issue had remained a longstanding concern of the state government and that efforts had been continuously pursued through correspondence with the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
He also said a team of MLAs would visit New Delhi to seek guidance from and urge the Central government to take up the NRC updation. He stressed that the issue should be addressed collectively, irrespective of political party or community, as it concerned the future of the state and its people.
Sapam reiterated that the government acknowledged the demand from civil society organisations and the people of Manipur for the NRC to be conducted before the Census. He said the government would continue to pursue the matter with the Centre and make every effort to ensure that the demand was considered.
On the ongoing bandh and protests, Sapam acknowledged that peaceful protest was a democratic right. However, he appealed to protesters to express their grievances peacefully and democratically without resorting to violence or causing inconvenience to the general public, students and people whose livelihoods could be affected by the disruptions.
Regarding the NRC process, he said the matter required discussion and consideration at various levels and that several aspects might need to be addressed before the exercise could be taken up. He expressed hope that positive developments would emerge through continued efforts and dialogue.
Sapam said the efforts should remain a collective endeavour and not be viewed through the lens of political parties, communities or religions. He expressed confidence that continued engagement with the Central leadership would yield a positive outcome.
Government spokesperson and MLA Thokchom Radheshyam, along with MLAs Th Shyamkumar, P Brojen, T Robindro, S Premchandra, Sapam Kunjakeshwor Singh, Th Shanti and Ashab Uddin, were also present at the press conference.
Also Read: How a journalist helped tea farmers rewrite their future in eastern Nagaland
